- Women do not have to dread their Gynecology examination any longer.
- We often hear about bad experiences or “I hate having this done” or “That was so painful” or “I cried after my last pap test” or “I look so ugly down there”.
- We never want you to experience these feelings. It should never happen, and at Meridia Gynecology we aim not to let it happen. This time is all about you, not us.
What is a real Gynecology examination all about?
- A time to review, discuss and explore your genital anatomy and get answers to your many unanswered questions while seeing what is normal and healthy.
- To feel safe about asking vulnerable questions and getting straight forward, honest answers.
- Our mission at Meridia Gynecology is to make your Gynecology experience gentle, informative and
- Caring is the basis of what we do.
- We try to understand you and give you the tools to direct the examination.
- This is your body and you are in charge.
- We have created an atmosphere of calmness and respect.
- Our staff is caring and helpful and our equipment allows you to participate in your care and understand why and what is being done. You are in control every step of the way!
- We appreciate that this often can be an embarrassing or vulnerable time for you, especially if this is your first examination.
- A Gynecology consultation should be a time to talk about things that worry you about your body, to review your genital anatomy in a way that is informative and positive and for you to see and
understand your own body, with confidence and assurance.
- This is a time for you to ask those questions that you have always wanted to ask about your vulva and vagina, to know if things are normal, to sort out problems and to reaffirm your womanhood and your sexuality.
- We want you to feel just as confident about your genital area as you do about your face, your hair or any other part of your body.
- By understanding and respecting your fears and anxiety about this examination, we have designed a space with you in mind.
- There is a private area for you to change so you never have to fear the door opening while you are getting undressed.
- Our examination beds are comfortable and electronic so that we can move them into any position that is comfortable for you and this enables you to see what is going on.
- There is always a nurse and doctor in the room during the examinations to assist you and inform you.
- If you have physical disabilities, our system allows easy transfer onto the beds in a dignified manner.
What we do:
- We aim to always check in with you, to make you part of the process, to show you what we are doing using our state of the art visual system, maintaining your privacy, your dignity and your respect.
- We always ask for your permission to proceed or continue.
- During the examination of the outside genital area, you have the ability to see your own anatomy by viewing a private monitor that is next to you. This gives you the opportunity of participating in the examination and asking questions. You have the option of turning off the monitor anytime.
- We want to know how you are coping both physically and mentally, especially if you have had bad
experiences in the past, including examinations or sexual assault.
What we don’t do:
- We do not do examinations under the cover of a bed sheet.
- We do not examine women who are not ready.
- We do not use speculums that are too big or cold.
- We don’t ignore your feelings during the exam.
- We never continue if you are in pain.
- If you are disabled or use a wheel chair, we do NOT use a Hoyer lift to get you onto the bed.
- We encourage feedback and suggestions to improve ourselves and our process.
- We do not always get it right with everyone.
- Sometimes we do make mistakes and misunderstand each other.
- We don’t always know what has happened in your past that can influence our interaction.
- We would very much appreciate you letting us know how we can make your experience more
We welcome you to our centre and will do our best to make your experience a positive one.