Vaginal muscle, like any other muscle group, needs to be maintained and exercised to keep the area well toned and healthy.
||- Improve your sexual enjoyment
- Maintain vaginal health
- Prevent or decrease urine leakage
- Prevent vaginal wall weakness (prolapse)
We have found that using biofeedback is more helpful than simple Kegel exercises. Never do Kegels by stopping your urine flow as described by some. This is not effective and can in fact cause long term voiding problems.
Biofeedback helps you focus on the correct muscles. Sometimes when you think that you are contracting or squeezing your vagina muscles, you are only squeezing your buttock (gluteal) muscles. To use Biofeedback, you insert a dilator or candle all the way into your vagina.
||- A soft vaginal dilator, non latex. This is available in our clinic in different sizes, easy to use and clean. The larger size comes with a vibrator attachment, which can be even more effective (and fun).
- A regular, thick, long candle.
- Wash the dilator or candle with soap and water each time.
The exercise program below will only be beneficial if done regularly. Effects will not be felt immediately, but can take 4-6 months.
At the beginning, please use the dilator or candle each time so that you can appreciate which muscles to contract (biofeedback). Eventually, you will only need to use the dilator or candle occasionally to remind you.
You can eventually do these exercises while driving or even at a meeting. No one will know. Your smile will not give you away!
Follow this program 3 times / day:
1. Insert a dilator or a candle into your vagina. (Do not, under any circumstances, light the candle while it is in your vagina!)
2. Use your vaginal muscles to squeeze the dilator or candle for 10 to 15 seconds (count from 1001 to 1015).
3. Relax for 5 seconds.
4. Repeat the exercise 20 times.
Good luck, and enjoy the benefits from your strong vaginal muscles!